Donna Rosato writes in Money about six field-tested strategies for job:
- Make sure higher-ups know you by solving problems and taking on high-profile projects.
- Share client leads or ideas to generate revenue even if that’s not part of your responsibilities.
- Hang out with the people the boss respects most. The halo of their good reputation may extend to you.
- Keep on top your advances in your field and expand your expertise beyond your core area.
- Look for problem spot that you can help fix. And pitch on whenever extra hands needed.
- Volunteering to take a pay cut during industrywide downturn can make you look like hero.